Tuesday 23 August 2016

Books I've Owned For a Long Time (But Still Haven't Read)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Ten Books That Have Been On Your Shelf (Or TBR) From Before You Started Blogging That You STILL Haven't Read Yet. I've only been blogging since February, so this has the potential to be a very long list :) Therefore, I've decided to tweak it slightly and list Books That I've Owned Since 2014 (Or Earlier). There are still quite a few more than ten, some of which I have had for quite a number of years :)

(My book buying habits kind of increased a lot in the last couple of years, though, so I have a LOT more unread books acquired in 2015 and 2016. I also didn't include non-fiction in this list, and left out a few books that I own but am not sure if I want to read or not. So that the list didn't get TOO long.)

(Most of these I do really want to read - even the ones I've had for a number of years. I'm just good at procrastinating books (especially if they're long), and tend to be more attracted to shiny new ones.)

 
The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
I don't know how many years I've had this book; about thirteen or fourteen, I think. I've started it several times and enjoyed what I've read, but somehow always been distracted before continuing. I literally have no idea why I haven't read it yet.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I'm kind of reading this ... very slowly. I think this one is kind of excusable though :)

The Light Princess and Other Stories by George MacDonald
I've read the first two stories, but never got around to reading the others

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
I've had this about 8 years, and started reading it twice but got distracted. The writing is gorgeous, and I am totally planning to read it ... sometime.


The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
I've had both of these for years and haven't even started either of them (unusually for me). Mostly because they are both pretty long and thus reading them requires a commitment; I'm a little intimidated by really long books.

Elizabeth, Captive Princess and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain by Margaret Irwin
These are books two and three of a trilogy that I bought as a single volume. I read book one, Young Bess, in the summer of 2013 and I enjoyed it ... but have I got round to reading the sequels yet? No.

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

I bought this a few years ago, but haven't got around to it yet.
 
The Painted Garden by Noel Streatfeild
I enjoy Noel Streatfeild's books and have bought and read several since I bought this ... so I don't know why I haven't read it yet.
 

Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
I started reading Great Expectations a couple of years back and got about halfway through. I keep intending to try again. I haven't started the other two because I feel like I should read GE first (I had it first, and have tried to read it already). But maybe I should just read the others since I feel like I might enjoy them more...
 
The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson
I've read bits of this. But not all of it yet.

Last Train from Kummersdorf by Leslie Wilson
I bought this years ago and started reading it but never finished it. I keep intending to go back to it but haven't yet.
 

Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
I did struggle a lot with the dialect when I started reading this before. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime. (I have seen the film, so I sort of feel obligated to read it.)

The House of Windjammer by V.A. Richardson

This sounded kind of interesting when I bought it, but I haven't been able to get into it yet.

The Case of the Deadly Desperados by Caroline Lawrence
The Roman Mysteries series by the same author were basically my favourite books when I was about 13 - so I bought this as soon as it came out. I probably should try to read it soon...

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
This is another book I've had for years and still not read. Hopefully someday :)
 
 
Feel free to leave a comment and a link to your TTT post if you've participated!


9 comments:

  1. Hugo, Dumas & Dickens are littering my TBR too, although some are older than others. I'm making my way through them slowly but surely. Will need to live to be at least 98 though to have enough time 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca has been on my TBR for years! Hopefully I'll get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've owned a lot of the same classics for a long time too and haven't read them yet either! I hope you get around to some of these soon.

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Great Expectation was actually my least favorite of Dickens' works, but I loved Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities. Girl with a Pearl Earring is quite good as well :)

    My TTT: http://thebookishlibra.com/2016/08/23/top-10-books-that-have-been-on-my-tbr-pile-for-way-too-long/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've owned Les Miserables for a while now too and I'm not sure if I'll get around to reading it! I hope you do though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some Charles Dickens on my list too. I've Great Expectations and Tale of Two Cities for years and haven't read them.
    See my list here https://runwright.net/2016/08/23/11364/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is the first list this week that I don't own anything from it! Though, I have read a lot of Eva Ibbotson over the years, The Dragonfly Pool never made it home with me. I was so sad when she passed away several years ago.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my drop everything and go read Rebecca, it is a brilliant classic mystery, you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had The Little White Horse when I was little, I don't think I ever read it, or if I did, I can't remember!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/top-ten-tuesday-71/

    ReplyDelete