Tuesday 16 August 2016

Ten Books Set in the Middle Ages

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is Top Ten Books With X Setting. I've decided to do a list of books set in the Middle Ages. I read a lot of historical fiction and this is one of my favourite time periods. All of these books are ones I've enjoyed, to varying degrees.
 

 

Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley-Holland

The story of a young girl who journeys to Jerusalem. I reread this recently and wrote about it here.

 

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman

The story of Richard III, told in nearly 900 pages. It's very long, but definitely worth reading.

 

The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham

The Wars of the Roses again, but from the opposite viewpoint.

 

Crusade by Elizabeth Laird

The stories of two boys on opposite sides of the conflict.

 

Matilda Bone by Karen Cushman

A children's book about a young girl trying to find her place in the world.
 

 

The Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries by Sarah Woodbury

I've actually only read three of these books, but I enjoyed them a lot. I've reviewed two of them here.

 

The Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

Again I've only read the first three of these, although I have the fourth book on my TBR pile and hope to get to it soon.

 

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, translated by Simon Armitage

I haven't read much poetry, but I enjoyed this more than I expected to. The original is a medieval poem by an unknown author, telling the story of one of King Arthur's knights.

 

The Arthur trilogy by Kevin Crossley-Holland

The story of a boy living in twelfth-century England, who is given a "seeing stone" which allows him to watch events taking place in King Arthur's court, whose life parallels his own.

 

The After Cilmeri series by Sarah Woodbury

This is a time travel/alternate history series about two modern-day American teenagers (and a few others, later on) who travel back to medieval Wales and fight to keep it independent from England.
 
 
Have you read any of these books, or do you have any other suggestions for good books set in this time period? Let me know in the comments, and feel free to add a link to your TTT post if you've participated this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment