Wednesday 15 March 2023

Re-joining the Classics Club


The Classics Club is a challenge in which you make a list of 50+ classics, with the aim of reading and blogging about them within 5 years.

I originally signed up back in February 2016, but it kind of fizzled out (mainly because I ended up going on a 5-year blogging hiatus). However, I've been reading more lately and I'm trying to get back into blogging, so I've decided I'm going to try again, with a new list. This time around I've included some re-reads, although the majority of books on the list are new to me. I decided to include books that are at least 50 years old. I've not included any classic mysteries: I read a lot of these, and could quite easily get through 50 books in 5 years just in this category, but I want to challenge myself to read a wider variety of classics, including some of the intimidating ones I've been putting off.

Here is my list of 50 books that I plan to read over the next five years. To make it easy to remember, I'm setting my final deadline as 31 December 2027.

  1. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim 
  2. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (re-read)
  3. Emma by Jane Austen (re-read)
  4. Persuasion by Jane Austen (re-read)
  5. A Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward Austen-Leigh
  6. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom 
  7. The Passenger by Ulrich Alexander Boschwitz
  8. The Governor of England by Marjorie Bowen
  9. To Sir, With Love by E.R. Braithwaite
  10. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
  11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (re-read) 
  12. The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield 
  13. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  14. Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens
  15. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  16. The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett 
  17. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  18. A Room With a View by E.M. Forster
  19. Mrs. Harris Goes to New York by Paul Gallico
  20. Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell 
  21. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (re-read)
  22. The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden
  23. Kingfishers Catch Fire by Rumer Godden
  24. Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene
  25. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  26. Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer
  27. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
  28. Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb 
  29. Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee
  30. The Princess and the Goblin by George Macdonald 
  31. The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni
  32. Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier
  33. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
  34. Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce 
  35. The Man Born to Be King by Dorothy L. Sayers
  36. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
  37. Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott 
  38. The Heart of Midlothian by Sir Walter Scott
  39. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  40. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  41. Miss Buncle Married by D.E. Stevenson 
  42. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  43. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)
  44. High Rising by Angela Thirkell
  45. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Unset
  46. Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
  47. Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace 
  48. The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West
  49. The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White
  50. The Dove in the Eagle's Nest by Charlotte Mary Yonge

 Have you read these? Which books do you think I should prioritize?

No comments:

Post a Comment