Skip to main content

What I Read in September

 
It's October already - I'm not quite sure how that happened! September was a pretty good reading month for me in all - I finished nine books in total and there were some really good ones among them.

Fiction:
 

Precious and the Mystery of Meerkat Hill by Alexander McCall Smith: This was a very simple story, which was enjoyable, but it was definitely aimed at quite a young audience.
 
Robin Hood by David Calcutt: This was quite enjoyable. The stories were fairly basic retellings of Robin Hood legends, but the illustrations were what made it really.
 
Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers: I thought this was really good - there's a link to my review below.
 
Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliff: This is the second book I've read by Rosemary Sutcliff - I didn't particularly care for The Eagle of the Ninth, but after hearing good things about her books for ages I decided to give them another go - which I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed this book! I will definitely be seeking out more of her books.
 
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows: The alternative story of Lady Jane Grey - with a different ending, and also people turning into animals. It's very entertaining and I would recommend it to all fans of YA and/or historical fiction (although this isn't strictly historical, there are lots of historical delights in store).

Non-Fiction:
 

Behind the Chalet School by Helen McClelland: This was quite an interesting read (as a fan of the Chalet School books), although I didn't feel it was terribly well written.
 
Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians by Chris Armstrong: This was really good - it gave me a lot to think about. I might do a post about it soon.
 
Waking Up by Ted Dekker: This was very short; I think it made some good points, but it would have been better if things were explored in more detail.

Poetry:
22412810

The Illustrated Book of Romantic Verse: This was a delight; I find poetry a bit hit and miss, but I really liked most of the selections in this book, and the artwork was also good - there were some really lovely pictures. If you like poetry, I would recommend this book.
 
Reviews:
 
Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
 
Non-Review Posts:

I participated in Top Ten Tuesday twice - sharing ten of my all-time favourite mystery books and ten books I'm hoping to read this autumn.
I also participated in Classic Remarks for the first time - this week's topic was about favourite Jane Austen adaptations
I listed twenty selections for the next Classics Club Spin - come back tomorrow to find out which book I will be reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Spring TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Ten Books on My Spring TBR. I'm very much of a mood reader and usually not very good at sticking to lists, so there is a good chance my reading over the next few months will be completely different to what I've listed below! That said, I really do intend to read most of them soon - we'll see!

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (my Classics Club Spin book) Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (after I finish The Two Towers, which will hopefully be this week) Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery (for the Old School Kidlit reading challenge) Once by various authors A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson The Sound of Diamonds by Rachelle Rea A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle Thalia by Frances Faviell The Oxford Inklings by Colin Duriez Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think of them? And what are you looking fo…

I Love Austen Week Tag!

Hamlette at Hamlette's Soliloquy is hosting I Love Austen Week this week - a week dedicated to all things Jane Austen! Be sure to check out the festivities here if you feel so inclined. Here are my answers to the week's tag. 1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one? My first proper experience with Jane Austen was the 2005 Pride & Prejudice film. I didn't know much about the story beforehand and wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I LOVED it. So I quickly started searching out other film adaptations, and of course the books themselves. I think I had seen at least one film version of each book before reading it.
2.  What is your favourite Austen book? Until a few days ago I would have said Sense & Sensibility, but I've recently started rereading Pride & Prejudice and suspect that it is about to take over. There are just so many good bits that I'd forgotten! 3.  Favourite heroine?  Why do you like her best? This is…

Classics Club Spin #15

It's time for another Classics Club Spin! I've quite enjoyed participating in these so far, and it's definitely a good incentive to get another book crossed off my list. The idea is that I list twenty unread books from my Classics Club list, and then on Friday a number will be announced, which is the book I have to read and post about by May 1st. The Watsons by Jane AustenLorna Doone by R.D. BlackmoreAgnes Grey by Anne BrontëMy Antonia by Willa CatherThe Wisdom of Father Brown by G.K. ChestertonA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleSylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth GaskellThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeCotillion by Georgette HeyerElizabeth Captive Princess by Margaret IrwinThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisTill We Have Faces by C.S. LewisAt the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonaldFurther Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryIvanhoe by Walter ScottHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William Shak…