Monday 9 May 2016

Book Review: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

 

This was my Classics Club Spin book, which I was a few days late in finishing.

I’m not quite sure what to say about this book. I didn’t have very strong feelings about it either way – I enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it, and it’s such a well-known story that I’m sure everything I could say about it has been said before many times.

I found the story itself to be very compelling; there were certainly enough twists and turns to keep the story interesting. I didn’t guess the solution until fairly near the end (and then only partially). The writing style was very straightforward, conveying just enough information to tell the story and build atmosphere, without giving any unnecessary details; which is in keeping with Watson’s character who is the narrator of the story. This is different to many other books that I have read, which I found quite refreshing. It’s pretty short too (despite the amount of time it took me to read it).

I don’t think there was anything in particular that I disliked about it, I think it just wasn’t as much to my taste as some other books. I definitely enjoyed it more than The Sign of Four, which is the only other Sherlock Holmes book that I’ve read to date, although I plan to read the rest of them sometime, maybe soon (I have an edition of the complete short stories sitting on my shelf).

So overall, I thought this was good and I would probably recommend it, especially if you are a fan of mystery/detective novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment