Thursday 28 September 2017

Footnotes: September 2017

I'm linking up again with Footnotes, a monthly quotation link-up hosted by Ashley and Emily.
 
http://sparrowsflysouth.blogspot.co.uk
 
This month's prompt is: a quotation that makes you laugh.
 
I've recently read Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers; one of her series about Lord Peter Wimsey, who is trying to prove the innocence of a young women convicted of murder. It's a brilliant book, so of course I couldn't just limit myself to one quote.
 
 
"I have already carefully explained to you that this time I am investigating this business. Anybody would think you had no confidence in me."
"People have been wrongly condemned before now."
"Exactly; simply because I wasn't there."
"I never thought of that."
 
*****
 
"I say - I've thought of a good plot for a detective story ... You know, the sort that people bring out and say, 'I've often thought of doing it myself, if only I could find time to sit down and write it.' I gather that sitting down is all that is necessary for producing masterpieces."
 
*****
 
"But you wouldn't want a wife who writes books, would you?"
"But I should; it would be great fun. So much more interesting than the ordinary kind that is only keen on clothes and people. Though of course, clothes and people are all right too, in moderation. I don't mean to say I object to clothes."
 
*****
 
"My idea is that Miss Vane didn't do it," said Wimsey. "I dare say that's an idea which has already occurred to you, but with the weight of my great mind behind it, no doubt it strikes the imagination more forcibly."
 
*****
 
"I know I've got a silly face, but I can't help that."

2 comments:

  1. Lord Peter Wimsey is one of my absolute favorite characters. He is soo quotable. He is especially quotable in Have His Carcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm about to start reading that. I look forward to it :)

      Delete