Saturday 31 December 2016

2016 in Review

2016 has been a very good reading year for me - both in quantity and quality. In total, I read 86 books, which exceeds last year's total of 80. I also read quite a number of very good books and discovered several new favourite authors.
 
My total includes 67 fiction, 15 non-fiction and 4 poetry; I'm fairly happy with these proportions. Not surprisingly, my most-read fiction genre this year was classics, with 32 books. However, I am surprised that fantasy/sci-fi came in second, with 14 books; this is clearly something I've been reading a lot more of this year than in previous years. Besides this I read 12 historical novels, 11 contemporary fiction, and 10 mysteries (some books have been counted in multiple genres). Only 3 of my reads were re-reads - I intend to improve upon this next year.
 
In total I read 73 different authors this year - this is my highest title to date, but this is mainly because I read quite a few books which had two or more authors. 47 of these authors were new to me. My most-read authors of the year were Kate Douglas Wiggin and Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, both with 5 books.
 
Some of the best books I read this year were:
 
Fiction
Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers
One Corpse Too Many and Monks-Hood by Ellis Peters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Escape from Rome and The Archers of Isca by Caroline Lawrence
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows
Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliff
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
Five Glass Slippers by various authors
 
Non-Fiction
Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians by Chris Armstrong
Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber
 
Re-Reads
1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley-Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment