Friday 16 September 2016

Book Review: Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliff

 

This was my second attempt at reading Sutcliff; I have to admit I didn’t especially enjoy The Eagle of the Ninth, but I’m glad I gave her another try! I really enjoyed this book. It was in essence a fairly straightforward story, about a boy trying to escape from slavery and find a place to belong, but it was very well done. I think the tension between “light” and “dark” moments was exactly right; there was enough suffering and danger to make the story authentic and to make you care about Beric, and what happened to him, but it never got so bleak as to be depressing; generally it was just at the darkest moment that Beric’s fortunes seemed to change, and the ending was happy, although it relied on one or two convenient coincidences. Overall, I thought this was a very good, and very enjoyable book, and I’m definitely going to be reading more from the author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment