Skip to main content

It's Monday! July 18th


badge
 
It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by The Book Date. This is my first time participating in it!
 
This week was a reasonably good one for reading; although I only finished one book I've made a fair amount of progress on several others. I was also away over the weekend so didn't get much of a chance for reading then. I also managed to pick up a few books that I've been wanting to read for a while at a second-hand bookshop and The Works, so it's been a successful week for book buying as well :)


Recent additions to my library
 
Books finished this week:
 
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This was on my Classics Club list. I really really liked this book (and can't quite believe I waited so long to read it). I should have a review of it up sometime this week.

Currently reading:
My currently-reading pile - not including Kindle books
Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. I've just started this but am enjoying it pretty well so far.
 
The Children Who Lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham. This is going OK. It's quite a quick read so I'll probably have finished it in a few days.
 
Miriam by Mesu Andrews. I am quite enjoying this.
 
Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe. I'm also enjoying this, but reading it pretty slowly.
 
Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson. I haven't actually read any of this for a while, after finishing the first section of it, but I'm hoping to pick it up again this week.
 
What I plan to read next:
Lavender and Old Lace by Myrtle Reed
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
The Wouldbegoods by E. Nesbit

In this coming week I hope to post a couple of reviews for things I've read recently, so look out for them!

Comments

  1. I still haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird. I bought a copy a couple of years ago but threw it on TBR mountain where it languishes. Come see my reading week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I would definitely recommend reading it :)

      Delete
  2. I went to a community book sale this weekend and made off like a bandit, I just couldn't resist all the lovely books, and the incredible prices didn't help! I like to tell myself that I'm being environmentally friendly by reusing pre-loved books, so really I'm doing the Earth a favour! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love used/second-hand book sales! Especially when you can get really nice editions for low prices :)

      Delete
  3. I adore "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I didn't read it until I was an adult. I have "Brooklyn" on my Kindle to read, and I'm hoping to get to it soon so that I can watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only person who took a long time to get to it! I've already seen the film of Brooklyn (I didn't actually know it was a book beforehand) and I really liked it, so I'm expecting good things from the book as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Spring TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Ten Books on My Spring TBR. I'm very much of a mood reader and usually not very good at sticking to lists, so there is a good chance my reading over the next few months will be completely different to what I've listed below! That said, I really do intend to read most of them soon - we'll see!

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (my Classics Club Spin book) Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (after I finish The Two Towers, which will hopefully be this week) Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery (for the Old School Kidlit reading challenge) Once by various authors A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson The Sound of Diamonds by Rachelle Rea A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle Thalia by Frances Faviell The Oxford Inklings by Colin Duriez Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think of them? And what are you looking fo…

I Love Austen Week Tag!

Hamlette at Hamlette's Soliloquy is hosting I Love Austen Week this week - a week dedicated to all things Jane Austen! Be sure to check out the festivities here if you feel so inclined. Here are my answers to the week's tag. 1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one? My first proper experience with Jane Austen was the 2005 Pride & Prejudice film. I didn't know much about the story beforehand and wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I LOVED it. So I quickly started searching out other film adaptations, and of course the books themselves. I think I had seen at least one film version of each book before reading it.
2.  What is your favourite Austen book? Until a few days ago I would have said Sense & Sensibility, but I've recently started rereading Pride & Prejudice and suspect that it is about to take over. There are just so many good bits that I'd forgotten! 3.  Favourite heroine?  Why do you like her best? This is…

Classics Club Spin #15

It's time for another Classics Club Spin! I've quite enjoyed participating in these so far, and it's definitely a good incentive to get another book crossed off my list. The idea is that I list twenty unread books from my Classics Club list, and then on Friday a number will be announced, which is the book I have to read and post about by May 1st. The Watsons by Jane AustenLorna Doone by R.D. BlackmoreAgnes Grey by Anne BrontëMy Antonia by Willa CatherThe Wisdom of Father Brown by G.K. ChestertonA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleSylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth GaskellThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeCotillion by Georgette HeyerElizabeth Captive Princess by Margaret IrwinThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisTill We Have Faces by C.S. LewisAt the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonaldFurther Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryIvanhoe by Walter ScottHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William Shak…