Skip to main content

Book Review: Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

18669071

 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Emily Starr has never known what it is to be unloved. But when her father dies, she is left in the care of her mother's family. Emily is a stranger to the proud Murrays, none of whom think they can cope with such a heartbroken, headstrong girl. They decide to draw lots for her, and Emily is sent to live at New Moon with stern Aunt Elizabeth, the head of the clan. Kind Aunt Laura and friendly, eccentric Cousin Jimmy also live at New Moon, though, so she is not without hope.

Emily is enchanted by New Moon, but cannot believe she will ever belong there. With her lively imagination and dreams of being a famous writer, she seems to have a talent for scandalising her family. Before long, though, she has made firm friends: Ilse, a tomboy with a blazing temper, Teddy, an aspiring artist, and Perry, the ambitious houseboy. She brings so much life to New Moon, perhaps one day even Aunt Elizabeth will consider herself lucky to have 'won' Emily.

I think the main problem that I had with this book was that it wasn't Anne of Green Gables (which is one of my favourite books ever). I didn't exactly expect it to be, of course, but although the basic premise of the book is the same (i.e. orphan girl being reluctantly adopted by older people who don't really understand her), it has quite a different ... tone? ... about it.  While I sympathised with Emily a lot when she was being misunderstood or treated unfairly, I didn't find her nearly so likeable as Anne. Also I felt that the level of conflict and misunderstandings between characters in this book meant that I didn't enjoy it so much - although it was probably realistic given the situation the characters were in it wasn't always comfortable to read about.

Having said all this, however, I did enjoy this book - it was by L.M. Montgomery, after all. It was definitely a good story and there were some beautiful descriptions in it. I'm glad I finally read it, anyway (after having been meaning to for a long time), but I don't think I'll be re-reading it anytime soon, though, and I'm not sure whether or not I'll go on to read the sequels.

Overall rating: 7 out of 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Spring TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Ten Books on My Spring TBR. I'm very much of a mood reader and usually not very good at sticking to lists, so there is a good chance my reading over the next few months will be completely different to what I've listed below! That said, I really do intend to read most of them soon - we'll see!

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (my Classics Club Spin book) Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (after I finish The Two Towers, which will hopefully be this week) Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery (for the Old School Kidlit reading challenge) Once by various authors A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson The Sound of Diamonds by Rachelle Rea A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle Thalia by Frances Faviell The Oxford Inklings by Colin Duriez Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think of them? And what are you looking fo…

I Love Austen Week Tag!

Hamlette at Hamlette's Soliloquy is hosting I Love Austen Week this week - a week dedicated to all things Jane Austen! Be sure to check out the festivities here if you feel so inclined. Here are my answers to the week's tag. 1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one? My first proper experience with Jane Austen was the 2005 Pride & Prejudice film. I didn't know much about the story beforehand and wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I LOVED it. So I quickly started searching out other film adaptations, and of course the books themselves. I think I had seen at least one film version of each book before reading it.
2.  What is your favourite Austen book? Until a few days ago I would have said Sense & Sensibility, but I've recently started rereading Pride & Prejudice and suspect that it is about to take over. There are just so many good bits that I'd forgotten! 3.  Favourite heroine?  Why do you like her best? This is…

Classics Club Spin #15

It's time for another Classics Club Spin! I've quite enjoyed participating in these so far, and it's definitely a good incentive to get another book crossed off my list. The idea is that I list twenty unread books from my Classics Club list, and then on Friday a number will be announced, which is the book I have to read and post about by May 1st. The Watsons by Jane AustenLorna Doone by R.D. BlackmoreAgnes Grey by Anne BrontëMy Antonia by Willa CatherThe Wisdom of Father Brown by G.K. ChestertonA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleSylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth GaskellThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeCotillion by Georgette HeyerElizabeth Captive Princess by Margaret IrwinThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisTill We Have Faces by C.S. LewisAt the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonaldFurther Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryIvanhoe by Walter ScottHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William Shak…